The first IMCO lighters were manufactured between 1918 and 1919 and patented in 1922. Initially, lighters were made from empty cartridges and metals recovered from shell casings that had been used during the First World War. Later, around 1930, they began to be manufactured in stainless steel.
In 1988, IMCO became part of the Haas family and was sold as IFA (IMCO Feuerzeuge Austria). Finally, after the reduction of the smoking habit, among other causes, IMCO had to close in 2012. In 2013, the Japanese pipe manufacturer TSUGE, buys the IMCO brand and machinery. Currently, the owner of the old machinery and the imco.at website is the Austrian firm Cl-Clip, which manufactures office supplies.